Monday, September 22, 2014

Yaana (ಯಾನ) by S L Bhyrappa (ಎಸ್ ಎಲ್ ಭೈರಪ್ಪ)

Note: I have tried not to provide spoilers, but if I have done so unknowingly, please accept my apologies!

I had carefully avoided all reviews, abstracts and any kind of information about the book with a decision that I would read it with an unbiased view. Honestly, I did not like Kavalu (ಕವಲು), SLB’s previous novel, too much. While Avarana (ಆವರಣ) was like a bomb blast, ಕವಲು was like a wet firecracker (ಟುಸ್ಸ್ ಪಟಾಕಿ). In retrospection, I probably did not like ಕವಲು because it looked regressive in some parts. I did not have high expectations from ಯಾನ as a story, but as usual, did have extremely high expectations on the author himself!

When I read the first page, I was taken aback – this story looked like science fiction! In the very first page, Bhyrappa introduces us to the premise of the whole story, no dillydallying, no prologue. It was a tad bit uncomfortable because right from the start, I started thinking about whether Bhyrappa can deliver! He proved that such doubts were unnecessary.

After reading the book, I can say for sure that this book is as much a piece of science fiction as it is about philosophy and mankind! Such is the work of this master storyteller!

Here is my view of the book – it begins with raising a pertinent question on the morality of an incestuous relationship (or what looks like) and ends with the protagonists taking a stand on it. In between, we get glimpses of several related facts, thoughts, beliefs and principles - some of which are turned upside down and some of which are newly established.

What is a relationship? Does a relationship need (ಸಮಾಜದ ಮನ್ನಣೆ) a formal name that is accepted by society? If you get into promises and agreements on earth, do they hold good when you are out there, billions of kilometers away from earth? ಇಲ್ಲಿ ಮಾಡುವ ಆಣೆಭಾಷೆಗಳು ಅಲ್ಲೂ ಉಳಿಯುತ್ತಾವ? Is there any court of law that will hold you for the promise you broke? If Sun is your God (ಪ್ರತ್ಯಕ್ಷ ದೇವರು), what about the billions of such stars all around you? What is the Sun? Who is God or, rather, what is God? What is consciousness (ಪ್ರಜ್ಞೆ)? Is consciousness, as defined on Earth, the same in our Sun’s solar system? Is it the same in our galaxy, in other galaxies and in our universe?

Such questions are asked and an attempt is made to answer too. But the beauty is, you form your own understanding and also in the process, you increase your confusion, which is a good thing J.  

Few more thoughts -
  • I remembered Kuvempu’s Ananamaya Ee jaga hrudaya (ಆನಂದಮಯ  ಜಗ ಹೃದಯ) when Bhyrappa extols about the Sun, also understood the poem a bit differently this time.
  • I could remember the countless hours I have spent on understanding the "Nasadiya Suktha" (ನಾಸದೀಯ ಸೂಕ್ತ) and also when I gave up on it J. At a high level, I understand it, but when you dig deeper, it was and remains beyond my understanding. When Bhyrappa brings in this suktha, I had goose bumps. It was brought in at the perfect time with the perfect words; I cannot describe the feeling!
  • I had reveled in the description of the Himalayas in “Parva” (ಪರ್ವ). There is a lot of difference between the Himalayas in ಯಾನ and that of ಪರ್ವ, signifying the destruction at the hands of man.
  • Lots of scientific concepts/theories are written in a concise manner – continental drift, formation of the Himalayas, black holes and quantum theory, applicability of Newton’s laws, distance and time, etc..

Overall, if you are someone who believes that science and spirituality (call it philosophy if you want) coexist, please read this book. It is an excellent attempt in Kannada.

Here’s a bow to Bhyrappa!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. This was inspiring enough to get this book and read. Will do it soon. I had a suggestion for you - Many Masters Many Lives. I read this one recently and I feel it may suit your pallette too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous, thanks for the suggestion. I will read the book!

      Delete